Sunday, March 31, 2013

Light Challenge

Below is a small quilt I made for the Textile Arts Group challenge 'Light'.  The background is black synthetic fabric which is double layered, the top layer is scrunched to give the appearance of bubbles.
I randomly cut strips of grey lurex organza and laid these on top of the black, the strips were stitched down with silver thread.  The next step was to attack the quilt with a heat gun melting away some of the layers exposing in some places the white background fabric.  Then I mixed silver and white Luminaire fabric paints and added colour onto the black and white places.  Finally I added more stitching and then zig-zagged the edges together.  I have called this piece 'Cascade of Light'.
As the quilt is black and silver it does not photograph well.

No comments: