Thursday, January 17, 2008



First Real Quilt


This quilt top was started in 2000 and I finished it in 2006.

The first quilt I made from 100% cotton fabrics was started in a ‘Stack’N’Slash workshop at Launceston Patchworkers and Quilters. The colours I used were Khaki, blue check, cream, dark green and variations on these.
We did one block in the workshop as it was to teach the technique only. After the class I went home and made the other 11 blocks and added 3 borders.
The next lesson was to sandwich and baste it which I did the next week and the quilt hung on the back of my sewing room door for 5 years.
In 2006 the then President of the Tasmanian Quilting Guild issued and UFO Challenge, members had to list their UFO’s and nominate to finish 4 for the year. To qualify to enter you had to have 20 or more UFO’s. When I counted mine I had 35, this is one of the quilts I finished before we packed up our house and started our nomad trip. The reason I have so many UFO’s is because I try to learn as much as I can about our craft/hobby/addiction so a lot of UFO’s can be classified as workshop samples.



I machine quilted this quilt by following the lines in the blocks. A few of the blocks have the slashed star look to them, in the other blocks I made too many cuts, a good learning curve.

No comments: