Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bit of this, dash of that and a smidge of what the heck

On Facebook yesterday I described a yummy meal I had cooked in the slow cooker.  Lindi asked if I quilted as I cook - make it up as I go -   here are a few quilts I have made that way. 
 This is the first unplanned quilt I made, started with a collection of cat fabrics some with large cats that could be cut around for applique, button holed them onto Quilters Muslin backgrounds in a variety of shapes, some of these fabrics were swapped with other quilters and some were given to me.  The next steps was to make 6" nine patch squares then I laid the squares and appliques out and arranged them in the best layout, some of the applique pieces have borders added to them to make them fit added borders and machine quilted it.  In amongst all the cat fabrics is one little square of Dalmatians.

 This is the second quilt I made making it up as I went, started with the blue/green background fabric that reminded me of a pool in a wooded area, added the sky fabric then added the bush, next came the reeds centre front then the gum trees and Australian Flora added some tea dyed cord to represent fine branches added 3D gum leaves machine quilted and added 2 little frogs sitting on a log in the pool.  Freehand machine embroidered the flowers, trees and background, plus beaded the wattle This one is a wall hanging

The one below is a quilt I made for Bayside Quilters 'Quilts from the Heart'  I was given 1m of the floral fabric added the Yellow and black made 1/2 square triangles laying the squares out as they were completed until I had used all the fabric joined the squares together, added a narrow black border then a yellow one then machine quilted.  This quilt is a large single bed size.

The small wall hanging below was for a challenge "Stellar" I discharged dyed a terrible fabric, stiff as a board dark blue/black with silver glitter.  Got an interesting effect then I added about 4 different glittery Angelina fibres bits of silver organza machine quilted these bits onto the backing then added the silver stars and beads.  The binding is 2 layers of organza 1 black the other silver.

Other quilts I make by following patterns almost. sometimes I change the layout of the blocks to put my interpretation on the quilt.

1 comment:

Lindi said...

I like them all, Fran. You are very clever! :)